LOVE these, such a great easy lunch box idea and they keep in the fridge for forever! No more wilty lettuce in the fridge, or expensive to-go salads for lunch. These just take a few minutes of prep for a weeks worth of lunches.
- 5 mason jars with lids
- lettuce mix (I grabbed a bag at our local farmers market of baby spring mix)
- 2 roma tomatoes (or one clam shell of grape/cherry tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheese (whatever kind makes you happy)
- 1 can of olives (you wont use the whole can promise)
- carrots (I used baby carrots because they were on incredible sale at our market)
- mushrooms (optional, but they were on another really good sale)
- 5 hard boiled eggs
- Some type of lean meat or protein (chicken, turkey bacon, turkey, optional of course)
Clean and dry all your mason jars. Throw your eggs into boil while you prep the other toppings, cut or grate your carrots, slice the mushrooms and tomatoes (or not depending on what kind you are using). When your eggs are done, slice them up into little circles (I cheat and use a slicer I just like that perfect slice!) Set your self up with an assembly line style production. I line my jars up to one side with all the ingredients in front of me.
You want to layer the heaviest items at the bottom, also if you are pre-adding your salad dressing it goes in the bottom as well, away from the lettuce (I like to add my when I’m ready to eat). My filling order was lean meat (I did 3 chicken jars and 2 leftover steak jars), tomatoes, sliced egg, carrots, olives, lettuce, mushrooms, cheese. Don’t fill it too full so you have a little room for it to move around. Screw the top on tight and store in the fridge. When you are ready to eat add dressing and shake! Delicious and healthy. All in all it took me about 25 minutes to prep and fill 5 jars for the week!!